Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Chenille Plant


Yesterday a friend and I spent the day at Callaway Gardens. We enjoyed the butterfly center, the horticultural center, and the birds of prey exhibit, but melted down before we could get to the hot air balloons.

I was fascinated with the large chenille plant on display in the horticultural center. The word “chenille” comes from the French for caterpillar and refers to a fuzzy, decorative cord. The plant is also called cat’s tail, fox’s tail, caterpillar plant, and Philippines Medusa. (Thank you, Mr. Google.)

The plant’s fuzzy flowers are amazing; they take me back to the days of the chenille bedspread. Bet the gkids can’t summon up an image of chenille bedspreads--or even the kids! What a generational allusion. I can not only see the bedspread, but I can feel the imprint on my face after an afternoon nap.